Tuesday 18 October 2011

Nonno Mario’s Sardinian Mullet


Ciao Everybody!

Wow, I can’t believe I last blogged before I went on vacation in August! The time has flown by…

I have been so busy with my cooking and my markets that I just haven’t had the time.

So, did you see me on TV the other week? On ‘ There’s No Taste like Home’ with Gino? If not, then, why not??

If you did, then I thought you might enjoy the recipe of the dish I cooked. A nice, simple, dish that for me really is the taste of home..

Nonno Mario’s Sardinian Mullet

Ingredients

For the main dish:

  • 1kg mullet
  • 50ml extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 x lemon, zested
  • 1 x chopped garlic clove
  • 1 x bunch of parsley
  • 1 x glass of white wine
  • Salt and pepper

For the sauce:

  • 1kg mussels
  • 1 x finely chopped shallot
  • 1 x chopped garlic clove
  • 1 x glass of white wine
  • 50cl extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 x sprig of parsley

For the potato and courgette bake:

  • 100g butter (room temperature)
  • 500g finely peeled and chopped potatoes
  • 250g finely sliced courgette
  • 250g Pecorino Sardo Stagionato
  • Salt and pepper
  • 450cl vegetable stock

Method:

For the main dish:

1: Gut and remove the scales from the mullet.

2: Put olive oil, lemon zest, chopped parsley, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and half a glass of wine over the fish.

3: Wrap it in tin foil.

4: Place in a preheated oven on 200C and cook for 25 minutes.

5: Once cooked, open the foil and skin the fish.

For the sauce:

6: Put olive oil, shallots, garlic and parsley in a shallow pan.

7: Gently soften on a low heat.

8: Add the mussels with a pinch of salt and half a glass of white wine.

9: Cook until the mussels open.

For the potato and courgette bake:

10: Brush the inside of an ovenproof dish with a little butter.

11: Begin to layer the potato, courgette and pecorino alternately in the dish seasoning each layer with salt and pepper and adding vegetable stock. Continue until the dish is full, finishing with a layer of potato.

12: Place in a pre-heated oven on 175C for one hour.

13: Once cooked leave to set.

To serve:

14: Plate up the whole fish, garnishing the plate with twisted slice of lemon and parsley sprigs. Serve the fish at the table with the courgette bake.




Easy as Uno, Due, Tre..

I hope you enjoy making and eating it..

Ciao for now

Mario

No comments:

Post a Comment